Silverdale has had a library since 1945 when the Kitsap County Rural Library District was formed. In 1946, the Silverdale Library Committee remodeled a 16-by-16-foot Army surplus building for use as the library. By 1958, the small building was inadequate and volunteers remodeled and expanded the building. In 1970, the Friends of the Silverdale Library launched a building campaign and in just 6 months, money was raised for a 1,000-square-foot library.
The Silverdale community grew significantly in the 1970s due to the presence of the Bangor Naval Base. With an increased need for library services, the Silverdale Library joined the Kitsap Regional Library system so the library could qualify for Trident Impact Funds. These funds helped expand the Silverdale location in 1980 to its current size.
Since 2015, the Kitsap Regional Library Foundation has been engaged in a capital campaign for a new library building in Silverdale. Visit Silverdale Capital Campaign to learn more.
- Building owner: Kitsap Regional Library
- Date built: 1946
- Expansion/Remodel: 1980
- Size: 4,950 square feet
- Population served: 63,109